Family Hirundinidae Rafinesque 1815, hirundinids
Genus Hirundo Linnaeus 1758
- Hirundo rustica Linnaeus 1758 - Barn Swallow – nests. In the hare copy of the catcalogue printed in 2008 was mentioned as rare; by now it is common nesting bird in agriculture landscape and around settlements including the campus of the White Sea Biologicval station and Chernaya Reka village. Mostly around settlements and in agriculture landscape.
Genus Riparia T. Forster 1817
- Riparia riparia (Linnaeus 1758) - Sand Martin (Kohanov, 1999). According to survey data, a small colony exists in the 3 km to the SE of the village Black River, where a few individuals caught annually in the fall.
Род Delichon Horsfield at Moore, 1854
- Delichon urbica (Linnaeus 1758)– Asian House-martin – nesting, common. First appearabnce near the WSBS in July 2006 (A.Morkovin). In the village Chernaya River regulary nests from 2002 (I.Panov). Several pairs nesting at the WSBS were registered at first in 2017 (P.Kvartalnov), since then has nested annually. Mostly around settlements and in agriculture landscape.
Род Alauda Linnaeus 1758
- Alauda arbensis Linnaeus 1758 – Crested Lark – spring migration in Chernaya Reka village. In the northern taiga outside settlements and agricultural land practically does not occur.
Family Motacillidae Horsfield 1821, motacillids
Genus Anthus Bechstein 1805
- Anthus trivialis (Linnaeus 1758) – Tree Pipit – common, nests.
- Anthus hodggsoni Richmond, 1907 – Olive-backed Pipit – vagrant. One speciman was caught in Chernaya Reka village in September 2012.
- Anthus pratensis (Linnaeus 1758) – Meadow Pipit – nests in th village Chernaya Reka and on the shore grassland.
- Anthus cervinus (Pallas 1811) – Red-throated Pipit – at flyby (Bianki, Flerov, 1960).
Genus Motacilla Linnaeus 1758
- Motacilla alba Linnaeus 1758 – White Wagtail – common, nests.
- Motacilla flava Linnaeus 1758 – Yellow Wagtail – rare, nests (Freude, 1986), common during migration (Kvartalnov P, personal communication).
Family Laniidae Rafinesque 1815, laniids
Genus Lanius Linnaeus 1758
- Lanius excubitor Linnaeus 1758 - Great Grey Shrike, Northern Grey Shrike - common, nests (Blagosklonov, 1960; personal message by G.S. Eremkin).
- Lanius collurio (Linnaeus 1758) – Red-backed Shrike – visitant. In the village Chernaya reka 2 individuals were entrapped at the end of August 2002 and 2011. Spreads northward along settlements and agricultural lands.
Family Sturnidae Rafinesque 1815, starlings
Genus Sturnus Linnaeus 1758
- Sturnus vulgaris Linnaeus 1758 — Common Starling (Freude, 1986; Voronetsky, 1988). Currently at tis area improbable. From 1970-80-th deslined at all European Norht, near the Polar Circle dissapeared. In village Chernaya Reka was encounted at the beginning of 2000-th encounted irregulary during spring migration (Pavel Shlkov, personal report).
Family Corvidae Leach 1820, corvids, the crow family
Genus Perisoreus Bonaparte 1831
- Perisoreus infaustus (Linnaeus 1752) — Siberian Jay — common, nests, stays through winter.
Genus Garrulus Brisson 1760
- Garrulus glandarius (Linnaeus 1758) — Eurasian Jay — rare, nesting and wintring (village Chrnaya Reka, Panov; WSBS - E.D.Krasnova personal data). Highly possible the statue at the area covered by Catalogue is the same. One bird ringed in Septamber 2009 in the village Chrnaya Reka was repeatedly trapped in January 2011 at the same site.
Genus Nucifraga (Brisson, 1760)
- Nucifraga caryocatactes (Linnaeus, 1758) - Eurasian nutcracker. Rare. P.V. Kvartalnov found in the WSBS village in August 2022 г. Possibly disseminates seeds of siberian pines planted in the settlement.
Genus Pica Brisson 1760
- Pica pica (Linnaeus 1758) — European Magpie, Eurasian Magpie, or Common Magpie - nests, stays through winter.
Genus Corvus Linnaeus 1758
- Corvus corax Linnaeus 1758 — Common Raven, Northern Raven — nests, stays through winter.
- Corvus cornix Linnaeus 1758 — Hooded Crow — nests, common during migration.
Family Bombycillidae Swainson 1831, waxwings
Genus Bombycilla Vieillot 1807
- Bombycilla garrulus (Linnaeus 1758) — Bohemian Waxwing — nests, stays through winter.
Family Prunellidae Richmond 1908, accentors
Genus Prunella Vieillot 1816
- Prunella modularis (Linnaeus 1758) – Dunnock — rare, nests (Voronetsky, 1988). Last deacade increases. Near the village Chernaya Reka is usual and nests up to 5 pairs per sq. km. Up to 5-10% among the trapped birds.
- Prunella montanella (Pallas,1776) – Siberian accentor – in 2016 during vast invasion along Europe one male was caughtin the village Blach River (I.Panov).
Семейство Troglodytidae, Wrens
- Troglodytes troglodytes (Linnaeus 1758)– Winter Wren – rare though regulary, maybe nests. Singing male was encounted in June and August, 2002 at the same site 1,5 km NE fom the village Chernaya Reka. Single young birds are trapped regullary in autumn.
Family Sylviidae Leach 1820
Genus Acrocephalus J. A. et F. Naumann 1811
- Acrocephalus schoenobaenus (Linnaeus 1758) - Sedge Warbler - rare, nests (Blagosklonov, 1960).
- Acrocephalus dumetorum (Blyth, 1849) – Blyth's Reed-warbler – visiting. One individual was trapped in the village Cheraya Reka trapped at the end of August 2010. (Panov, 2011).
- Acrocephalus palustris (Bechstein, 1798)– Marsh Warbler – visiting. 1-2 individuals are trapped regullary in the village Cheraya Reka in August and September (Panov, 2011).
- Acrocephalus scirpaceus (Hermann, 1804) – visiting. 2 individuals were trapped in the village Cheraya Reka in September 2010 and 2011 (Panov, 2011).
Genus Hippolais von Baldenstein, 1827
- Hippolais icterina (Vieillot, 1817) - Icterine Warbler - rare. 6-7 July 2006 singing male was regictereb near WSNS village.
Genus Phylloscopus Boie 1826
- Phylloscopus borealis (Blasius 1858) - Arctic Warbler – rare, nests.
- Phylloscopus collybita (Vieillot 1817) - Common Chiffchaff – common, nests.
- Phylloscopus sibilatrix (Bechstein 1793) - Wood Warbler. In the printed Catalogue this species is reported as common, nesting. Data of the Ringing Station in the village Chernaya Reka contrary to this. During all observation period from 2000 to 2020 it was caught just 3 times. In Kandalakshsky Nature reserve singin males were registered very rarly.
- Phylloscopus inornatus (Blyth, 1842) – Yellow-browed Warbler – at the Ringing Station in the village Chernaya Reka registered autumn visits (Panov, Shutova, 2009). The statue at the reporting area expected to be the same.
- Phylloscopus proregulus (Pallas, 1811) – Pallas's Leaf Warbler – at the Ringing Station in the village Chernaya Reka is visiting in autumn (Panov, Shutova, 2009). The statue at the reporting area expected to be the same.
- Phylloscopus trochilus (Linnaeus 1758) - Willow Warbler - common, nests.
Genus Sylvia Scopoli 1769
- Sylvia atricapilla (Linnaeus 1758) – Blackcap – Data of the ringing station in the village Chernaya Reka: regular autumn visitor (September - October).
- Sylvia borin (Boddaert 1783) – Garden Warbler – rare, nests (Freude, 1986).
- Sylvia communis Lathham, 1787 – Common Whitethroat – in the village Chernaya Reka rare, last years possible nesting. At first trapped in autumn 2009. In springs 2010 and 2011 singing male was encounted in the village, in autumn young birds were tapped.
- Sylvia curruca (Linnaeus 1758) – Lesser Whitethroat – in the village Chernaya Reka: rare, nesting; visits the White Sea biological Station during post-breeding wanderings.
Genus Tarsiger Hodgson, 1845
- Tarsiger cyanurus ((allas, 1773) - red-flanked bluetai. Female was catched on 11.08.2019 г. into a web in a mixed forest on the outskirts of the biostation's botanical garden.
Family Locustellidae Bonaparte, 1854
Genus Helopsaltes Alström et al., 2018
- Helopsaltes certhiola (Pallas, 1811) (Locustella certhiola (Pallas, 1811))- Pallas's grasshopper warbler. Met once near Nizhnee Ershovskoe lake 17.08.2022. (P.V. Kvartalnov).
Family Regulidae Vigors 1825, kinglets or crests
Genus Regulus Cuvier 1800
- Regulus regulus (Linnaeus 1758) - Goldcrest - common, nests.
Family Muscicapidae Fleming 1822
Genus Ficedula Brisson 1760
- Ficedula hypoleuca (Pallas 1764) - European Pied Flycatcher - rare, nests (Bianky, Flerov, 1960).
- Ficedula parva (Beschtein, 1794) – Red-breasted Flycatcher – rare, probably nests. In 2010 and 2011 single singing males were registered at the standart 10.3 km route near the Chernaya reka village. In autumn single individuals are captured every year.
Genus Muscicapa Brisson 1760
- Muscicapa striata (Pallas 1764) - Spotted Flycatcher - common, nests (Bianky, Flerov, 1960).
Genus Saxicola Bechstein 1803
- Saxicola rubetra (Linnaeus 1758) - Whinchat – rare, nests (Bianky, Flerov, 1960).
Genus Oenanthe Vieillot 1816
- Oenanthe oenanthe (Linnaeus 1758) - Northern Wheatear – rare, nests (Freude, 1986).
Genus Phoenicurus T. Forster 1817
- Phoenicurus phoenicurus (Linnaeus 1758) - Common Redstart - common, nests.
- Phoenicurus ochruros (S.G. Gmelin, 1774) – Black Redstart – visiting. One individual was captured in Cheraya Reka village in August 2010 г. V.D.Kokhanov encounted the bird on the Velikiy Island in April 1975 (Bianky et al., 1993).
Genus Erithacus Cuvier 1800
- Erithacus rubecula (Linnaeus 1758) – European Robin - common, nests.
Genus Luscinia T. Forster 1817
- Luscinia svecica (Linnaeus 1758) – Bluethroat – rare, nests – Blagosklonov, 1960. Common during fall migration.
Genus Tarsiger Hodgson, 1845
- Tarsiger cyanurus (Pallas, 1773) – Orange-flanked Bush-robin – very rare migrating species; preiodically invases, some yeras probably nests (Panov et. al., 2009). Female was captured in the net 11 August 2009 in the village of the White Sea Biological Station.
Genus Turdus Linnaeus 1758
- Turdus iliacus Linnaeus 1766 - Redwing - common, nests.
- Turdus philomelos C. L. Brehm 1831 - Song Thrush - common, nests.
- Turdus pilaris Linnaeus 1758 - Fieldfare - common, nests.
- Turdus viscicorus Linnaeus 1758 – Mistle Thrush – rare, nests (Freude, 1986).
- Turdus merula Linnaeus 1758 - Eurasian Blackbird - rare, probably nests in some years. First, registered in July 2011 in the WSBS station settelement and stayed till August (Krasnova, personal message). In Chernaya Reka village single individuals were catched from 2007/; probavly nests – Panov, Shutova, 2008.
- Turdus torquatus Linnaeus 1758 – Ring Ouzel – during migrations. One bird was catched in Chernaya Reka village in May 2008. (data of the Ringing Station in Chernaya Reka village, I.N.Panov). V.D. Kokhanov had seen one male at the Yeremeevsky raffle in May 1991, and registered the species few times on the Veliky Island (Kokhanov, 1999).
Family Aegithalidae Reichenbach 1849, long-tailed tits
Genus Aegithalos Hermann 1804
- Aegithalos caudatus (Linnaeus 1758) - Long-tailed Bushtit - rare, winters, some years encountered duting post-breeding wanderings, probaby nests. In summer was registed in June 2001 and in August 2019.
Family Paridae Vigors 1825, chickadees
Genus Parus Linnaeus 1758
- Parus montanus Baldenstein 1827 - Willow Tit - common, nests, stays through winter.
- Parus cinctus Boddaert 1783 - Siberian Tit, Gray-headed Chickadee – common, nests, stays through winter.
- Parus ater Linnaeus 1758 - Coal Tit - rare nesting and wintering species (Bianky, Flerov, 1960; Blagosklonov, 1960).
- Parus cristatus Linnaeus 1758 – Crested Tit – rare, some years is common, nests, winters, stays through winter (Blagosklonov, 1960; P. Kvartalnov - personal communication).
- Parus major Linnaeus 1758 - Great Tit - common, nests, stays through winter.
- Parus caeruleus Linnaeus 1758 – Blue Tit – not numerous, nests in the village of the biological station (Kvartalnov P.V., personal communication); regullary found on post-nesting migrations. In autumn are to be catched at the Ringing Station in Chernaya Reka village (Panov, personal communication).
Family Sittidae Lesson 1828, nuthatches
Genus Sitta Linnaeus 1758
- Sitta europaea Linnaeus 1758 - Eurasian Nuthatch – rare nesting. Earlier nested and wintered at the WSBS settlement, when there was a stable. In Chernaya Reka village has never been encounted.
Family Certhiidae Leach 1820, treecreepers
Genus Certhia Linnaeus 1758
- Certhia familiaris Linnaeus 1758 - Eurasian Treecreeper, Common Treecreeper - common, nests, stays through winter.
Family Passeridae Rafinesque 1815, true sparrows
Genus Passer Brisson 1760
- Passer domesticus (Linnaeus 1758) - House Sparrow – rare, earlier regullary nested and wintered at the WSBS settlement, when there was a stable. Currently vanish from WSBS. In Chernaya Reka village in 2018 and 2020 1 bird was encountered.
- Passer montanus (Linnaeus 1758) - Eurasian Tree Sparrow - rare, nested and wintered at the WSBS settlement, when there was a stable. Currently vanish from WSBS, and isn't found in Chernaya Reka village.
Family Fringillidae Leach 1820, true finches
Genus Acanthis Borkhausen 1797
- 'Acanthis flammea' (Linnaeus 1758) - Common Redpoll - common, nests, stays through winter.
Genus Carpodacus Kaup 1829
- Carpodacus erythrinus (Pallas 1770) - Common Rosefinch - rare.
Genus Chloris Cuvier 1800
- Chloris chloris (Linnaeus 1758) - European Greenfinch - rare, nests.
Genus Fringilla Linnaeus 1758
- Fringilla coelebs Linnaeus 1758 – Chaffinch - common, nests. In the printed Catalogue (2008) this species was listed as rare. During last decade quickly increases in number. Near Chernaya Reka village the density of population mounts to 20 pairs per sq. km.
- Fringilla montifringilla Linnaeus 1758 – Brambling - common, nests.
Genus Loxia Linnaeus 1758
- Loxia curvirostra Linnaeus 1758 - Common Crossbill - rare, nests – (personal message by G.S. Eremkin).
- Loxia leucoptera Gmelin 1789 - Two-barred Crossbill, White-winged Crossbill - extremely rare in the vicinity of the biological station, not every year, however, apparently, breeds. In July 1997 registered on the Kastyan island; in August, 2021 on the Kindo peninsula where, possibly, nested (male with three fledglings; personal message by P.V.Kvartalnov). 2.08.2022 г. female smashed against the glass of a house was found by Elena Krasnova.
- Loxia pytyopsittacus Borkhausen 1793 - Parrot Crossbill - rare, registered in the high pine seeds crope years, including post-breeding waderings, possibly nests, tays through winter (Blagosklonov, 1960; P. Kvartalnov - personal communications).
Genus Pinicola Vieillot 1807
- Pinicola enucleator (Linnaeus 1758) – Pine Grosbeak - rare, nests, stays through winter (Blagosklonov, 1960).
Genus Pyrrhula Brisson 1760
- Pyrrhula pyrrhula (Linnaeus 1758) - Bullfinch, Common Bullfinch, or Eurasian Bullfinch - common, stays through winter.
Genus Spinus Koch 1816
- Spinus spinus (Linnaeus 1758) – Eurasian Siskin - nests, in some years stays through winter.
Family Emberizidae Vigors 1825, emberizids
Genus Emberiza Linnaeus 1758
- Emberiza citrinella Linnaeus 1758 - Yellowhammer – rare, nests (Blagosklonov, 1960).
- Emberiza hortulana Linnaeus 1758 - Ortolan Bunting – In the printed Catalogue book the species was mentioned as rare. Later it was regarded as a mistake. In 2019 first bird was caught in the village Kovda (outside the area covered by this Catalogue) (I.Panov).
- Emberiza rustica Pallas 1776 - Rustic Bunting - common, nests.
- Emberiza pusilla Pallas 1776 - Little Bunting – rare, nests (Freude, 1986).
- Emberiza schoeniclus (Linnaeus 1758) - Reed Bunting - common, nests.
Genus Plectrophenax Stejneger 1882
- Plectrophenax nivalis (Linnaeus 1758) – Snow Bunting – common, at flyby.
- Calcarius lapponicus Linnaeus 1758 - Lapland Longspur, Lapland Bunting - rare, in winter (personal message by Krasnova E.D.) and and during fall migration. Solitar individuals are catched by the Ringing station at the end of August and beginning of September annually.